If you thought ResNet was bad - think again! Its worsened!!!

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

fool_on_the_hill wrote:I've just set up TorrentFlux on a spare box, since it looks like my mum is going to have a better connection than I will :shock: (5.5Mbps/448Kbps). I'll just have to get her to switch it on whenever I need to get anything through BT.
I spent the whole of last term ftp-ing stuff i'd torrented at home to campus. Annoyed my brother to hell as i was managing to steal bandwidth when I wasn't even tehre :P
elementbr

Post by elementbr »

Hmmm, what a piss take. There is an interesting entry in someone's blog here and there have been a fair few comments.

It should be quite interesting to see what happens but I seriously hope that ITS/the Uni have the brains to realise that what they are doing is utterly stupid and at the very least up the download limits to something more sensible. I mean I did ~200meg of downloads yesterday and that wasn't downloading anything special, just updates for zonealarm, Windows and whatnot and a bit of surfing. In this generation of blogs, podcasts (or should it be audiocasts so that apple don't get in a huff?!), youtube etc. 190meg a day is utterly wrong.

Whilst I'm sure that the Uni have had their lawyers check out the contracts with Accomodation to ensure that they're in the clear I seriously question the legallity of charging £22/mth for such a pitiful service, without the option to opt out. Somebody needs to check out the goods and services act as there is no way that this is in any way fair. I mean, NTL where charging me £24.99/mth or whatever it was for 2meg cable, with no limits whatever. Now it is up to 4meg, for the same price, and still with no limits. ITS are having a laugh.

And what is this I've read about a Campus Manager program or (whatever it is)? (here) To be put in place in 2007 it'll check to ensure you have the necessary programs (antiv, antispyware and firewall) installed and that you don't have any of the blacklisted programs such as eMule installed. What the fuck. So what if you have emule on your computer on campus, doesn't mean that you intend on using it - most people have the internet at home and would use it there. Seriously, what the fuck?

And I thought that tiscali were shit with their rediculous AUP and 6-11pm peak time usage recommendations (i.e. download more than 30meg in this period and you put yourself at risk of being put on the bad-boy pipe where your connection is shared with all the other 'naughty' users and you have to share the bandwidth with them - in other words, you're left with fuck all bandwidth).
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

The download limits will have to be increased, when they realise that people need stuff from the main campus network in order to simply to ther degrees, let alonf research or general updates to your computer - which they say you need to do :P.
I would also expect them to market it as the best thing that's ever happened to the network, "From now on, because we here at ITS are such generous people, you will be able to download x times as much as you could before (Please please please love us)". They did a similar thing with the overall bandwidth limit for the resnet last year.

Given ITS's record with getting things in on time, can you really see the campus manager being introduced before the end of the academic year? The Traffic Shaper last year took about 6 months from first implementation to final implentation. Mostly due to the imcompetance of ITS in programming it or the failure of the thing by itself :P
elementbr

Post by elementbr »

can you really see the campus manager being introduced before the end of the academic year?
There isn't a chance in hell, nevertheless, the sheer idea of such a program is beyond rebuke in my mind.
"From now on, because we here at ITS are such generous people, you will be able to download x times as much as you could before (Please please please love us)"
Ha, I can see them doing that, they are such lovely people aren't they!
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

To use DC++ though, if it's jsut scanning from a list of programs, you jsut have to find a fairly random non standard client and it won't "see" it

Discalimer

Not that I in any way support the use of p2p on campus or would suggest ways to actually use the internet there against the AUP (just to make that 100% clear)
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

It's more likely to just read them from a list on the computer somewhere: if so, just delete some of the entries ;)

Discalimer

Not that I in any way support the use of p2p on campus or would suggest ways to actually use the internet there against the AUP (just to make that 100% clear)
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Just through I'd put this quote from the blog at http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/tretout/entry/resnet_aup/ onto here
John Dale wrote:I’ve had a discussion with some of my colleagues in IT Services on the particular question of how this 5GB cap is intended to work, and I’m advised that it’s not intended to be part of the AUP; in other words, going over this limit won’t result in disconnection or a fine. Furthermore, there are no plans to enforce the limit strictly; that is, you won’t see any immediate effect on your connection if you exceed it. The only intention at the moment, as I understand it, is to watch for users who massively exceed this limit (by orders of magnitude, I guess), and to respond by temporarily moving such users on to a separate VPN with less bandwidth in order that they don’t consume resources disproportionately.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Zeus wrote:oh god, hop on the bandwagon of whining about DRM why dont you.
yes I gladly will... www.defectivebydesign.org is a good read.

I actually tend to think this is important to tell people about. Right now probably more important than telling them about the wonderful world of linux.

Ok so I haven't had time to read a lot of the other posts but I just thought I would say that I'm still alive.. and yes I really pity all the on-campus ppl just like I did last year.

I will gladly support any unhappy resnet users who need a shoulder to cry on... but only if they also let me install linux on the computers and make their lives more merry in the process :P
yoinkster

Post by yoinkster »

echelon wrote:I will gladly support any unhappy resnet users who need a shoulder to cry on... but only if they also let me install linux on the computers and make their lives more merry in the process :P
s/merry/misery
i like how he doesnt say he wont take on blokes for the shoulder crying ... the bingirl has been let out the bag !! :razz:
Blood God

Post by Blood God »

fool_on_the_hill wrote:Happy to do so! If uploads contribute to the 'download limit' (which they probably do :roll:) I'll hit the cap anyway as soon as I do my first backup (assuming the secure port for Mozy's backup servers isn't blocked or something). If not, then I'll download a couple of large linux distros or something, that I can claim that I need for my project work, and see what happens
I believe that the current policy is that resnet is for recreational use alone, and therefore any uni work should be done on the public access terminals.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

yoinkster wrote:s/merry/misery
i like how he doesnt say he wont take on blokes for the shoulder crying ... the bingirl has been let out the bag !! Razz
oh haha u're so funny.. oh wait.. u're telling me just that I let blokes cry on my shoulder makes me a bingirl (what the hell is that anyway??) I suppose u mean gay, but no letting blokes cry on ur shoulder just means you're a good friend.. something yoinkster is yet to realise!! *cough* *cough* homophobe
Blood God wrote:
fool_on_the_hill wrote:Happy to do so! If uploads contribute to the 'download limit' (which they probably do :roll:) I'll hit the cap anyway as soon as I do my first backup (assuming the secure port for Mozy's backup servers isn't blocked or something). If not, then I'll download a couple of large linux distros or something, that I can claim that I need for my project work, and see what happens
I believe that the current policy is that resnet is for recreational use alone, and therefore any uni work should be done on the public access terminals.
Well that is basically just crap. They can't expect everyone to use their crappy computer labs. Also if this is the case I should hope they have started expanding the computer labs, as their current capacity certainly won't be able to handle the load if all on-campus students will need to use the labs for *all* their uni work!!
playazy

Post by playazy »

does the 5gb cap apply to traffic on the intranet? Seems to me that it is unlikely that they can monitor this, especially when using DC. Surely this only applys to internet traffic?

Doesnt really bother me any way I dont go to warwick, just interested because my gf is here.

Oh and as for having to use XP, that really does suck. XP is the worst OS to date in my opinion. 2000/Linux all the way!!!
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

On campus transfers do not count, no
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

playazy wrote:does the 5gb cap apply to traffic on the intranet? Seems to me that it is unlikely that they can monitor this, especially when using DC. Surely this only applys to internet traffic?

Doesnt really bother me any way I dont go to warwick, just interested because my gf is here.

Oh and as for having to use XP, that really does suck. XP is the worst OS to date in my opinion. 2000/Linux all the way!!!
Yes LINUX all the way!!!