If you thought ResNet was bad - think again! Its worsened!!!

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

Ah, so it was the potato. Thought so
Thanks Zeus
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

Anywho, to bring this back on topic, I will be posting a front page thing shortly about the usage caps etc. I feel so sorry for you lot, especially those who are just joining the uni.

Cocodude
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Sorry Cocodude. Got a bit carried away :P

And I agree, those usage limits are frankly ludicrous. Although I shoudl point out that they haven't actually said what happens if you go over them.

Any guinea pigs willing to download a film from a "legal & legitimate source" see what happens? Given that from what I've heard, a film from there is usually larger than 5GiB, it would be an interesting point to make.

(Or any other high bandwidth and completely legitamate downloads site)
Last edited by astropoint on Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

and iTunes god forbid.....
Satan Commands Me
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Ewwwwwwww how dare you even stoop that low, suggesting people should frequent such a pile of dog poo to BUY poor quality DRM-infected pieces of shite! :P
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

oh god, hop on the bandwagon of whining about DRM why dont you.
Satan Commands Me
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Yep - and we were trying so hard to keep on topic :wink:
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Zeus wrote:oh god, hop on the bandwagon of whining about DRM why dont you.
Erm... no, I've always claimed that it's crap, long before the likes of eyeTunes came about so if anything, the rest of world+dog is hopping on my bandwagon...
SpookyKid

Post by SpookyKid »

this sounds like and absolute pile of bollocks, I do feel so sorry for anyone on campus this year, especially freshers. I may soon be making a visit to campus and was going to bring my external HDs but it seems that would be utterly pointless.
'The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame'
yoinkster

Post by yoinkster »

sounds like playing games online on the interweb is out of the question as well.

have some super happy fun there guys, the duefo fall out continues \m/
yoinkster

Post by yoinkster »

yoinkster wrote:online on the interweb
lets pretend that didnt happen aight ;)
fool_on_the_hill

Post by fool_on_the_hill »

I've just been shown the new ReseNt rules and I'm shocked. I've had reports of what the last two years have been like and was prepared to put up with the same. This latest development is an unacceptably huge step in the wrong direction.

I will be drafting a letter to the Union about it over the next couple of days (as far as I can tell, I won't be the only one). Since this affects all new students from now on and a quarter of all students at any one time, I'm sure they have to represent us in this case. I'm not too hopeful about it bringing about any changes, but I'm pissed off enough to try to make a big noise regardless of whether it will have any effect.

A few points of interest:
- Less restricted services are easily available for £10 elsewhere. Where does the figure that we pay £20/month as part of our rent come from? If it is true then ReseNt is using it's position as a monopoly to exploit students (not to mention the extortionate reconnection charges for those unfortunate or unsavvy enough to get a virus). I'm sure the Union would love to get it's teeth into that juicy one.
- The AUP states that "By using the ResNet Service you are agreeing to abide by all the terms & conditions laid out in this Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)" and "You must... Notify the Student Computing HelpDesk of any problems, faults & breaches of the AUP you detect or become aware of while using the service." - I'm pretty certain no company is allowed to contractually oblige us to snitch on our neighbours.
- The AUP also says I am not allowed to even install certain software on my computer. I am sure they are not legally allowed to control this even if they can state what programs I can use over the network. If I want to run a webserver on my computer for testing PHP scripts locally, then that's my own business. I will have Apache, an FTP server or two, eMule, DC clients, and BitTorrent clients installed (even if I'm not using them on campus) and I'm not going to remove them at the start of each term (nor can I be forced to).

Suggestions are welcome for other particularly vile elements of the new policy that are worthy of highlighting.
yoinkster

Post by yoinkster »

Provide the ability to connect computers running Windows XP, Mac OS 9 or above, or Linux. Does not provide the ability to connect a computer running an old version of Windows (95, 98, 2000 or, ME)
Who's going to pay for a new OS for the students who aren't on windows xp ? It's not fair at all to assume everyone will have XP and forcing n00bs to use a completely different os to the one they are used to is going really cause havok. If they want to enforce this then they should provide xp free of charge and provide "training sessions" for new users so they can become accustomed to the new system. Not everyone is a computer whizz and it is wholley unfair for them to assume they are.
Viruses: A £35 reconnection charge will apply for reconnection after the third disconnection due to virus infection
I'm pretty sure fining people for their own general stupidity is not legal, they make it sound as though people get infected with a virus to cause trouble ...
6. Install, run & regularly update your computer’s Anti Virus software.

7. Install, run & regularly update your computer’s Anti Spyware software.

8. Install & maintain an appropriate personal firewall on your computer.
They can't tell you what you must install on your computer, if you wish to be without a spyware scanner or firewall then so be it, since afterall, who needs a firewall when the resnet should have its own one blocking all threats ????
The service is operated on a non-profit basis
sooo like a charity ? don't charities have to be openbook ?? if this is the case then you should ask to see cashflow details, if youre allowed, because the price they charge is very disproportionate to the service received and it would be handy to know where all the money is wasted, no doubt unnecessary middle management eats up like 90% of it.
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Perhaps point out that their download limit makes it pretty impossible to downlaod legal films - which they say in the AUP specifically that you are allowed to do.

Also remember when writing your letter that the AUP as is was accepted by the Union many months ago without question. Perhaps point out that this was by the previous set of Sabs, and certain members of the current batch put things about providing a better campus internet in their manifestos when running for election so maybe now is the time to get off their arses and do something :P

And just becasue I felt like saying this....
Provide the ability to connect computers running Windows XP, Mac OS 9 or above, or Linux. Does not provide the ability to connect a computer running an old version of Windows (95, 98, 2000 or, ME)
They've actually been saying that for several years now :wink: There's sod all they can really do bar refuse to give you what they laughingly call "support" if you don't run it :P
The service is operated on a non-profit basis
Non profit in that you don't pay them directly. You pay Warwick Accomodation
fool_on_the_hill

Post by fool_on_the_hill »

Incidentally:
astropoint wrote:Any guinea pigs willing to download a film from a "legal & legitimate source" see what happens? Given that from what I've heard, a film from there is usually larger than 5GiB, it would be an interesting point to make.

(Or any other high bandwidth and completely legitamate downloads site)
Happy to do so! If uploads contribute to the 'download limit' (which they probably do :roll:) I'll hit the cap anyway as soon as I do my first backup (assuming the secure port for Mozy's backup servers isn't blocked or something). If not, then I'll download a couple of large linux distros or something, that I can claim that I need for my project work, and see what happens.

I've just set up TorrentFlux on a spare box, since it looks like my mum is going to have a better connection than I will :shock: (5.5Mbps/448Kbps). I'll just have to tell her to switch it on whenever I need to get anything through BT.