General state of ResNet

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

Ikkath

General state of ResNet

Post by Ikkath »

Does anyone know the current state of the network?

I have contacted ITS here numerous times over the last few days and have yet to hear anything back...

It boggles my mind that the lame excuses given by ITS are responsible for the outrageous performance. Even if it is true why not reveal more about the problems? If it is a 'virus' then lets have its name. If its a switch or router thats giving us the problems say so - the current 'newsflash' is so useless it may as well not be there. :evil:

I mean WTF :

Code: Select all

Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.224.87] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Reply from 212.58.224.87: bytes=32 time=2004ms TTL=241
Reply from 212.58.224.87: bytes=32 time=1898ms TTL=241
Reply from 212.58.224.87: bytes=32 time=2101ms TTL=241
Ping statistics for 212.58.224.87:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1898ms, Maximum = 2101ms, Average = 2001ms
This is just a complete joke...
boller

Post by boller »

i know what you mean...its a piss take.

on my ftp i can get 700kb/s up and down, at the touch of a button, where as general web surfing is really sucky

and Steam is shit for gaming..

they need to revamp their prioritising thing.

It's starting to make me give up hope.
Ikkath

Post by Ikkath »

Well it looks as though whatever "work" they did this morning has done absolutely nothing for the performance - well not in my halls anyway. :evil:

Oh well... :(
boller

Post by boller »

yup sucky here too
adfad666

Post by adfad666 »

i've transferred here from coventry university, and all i can say is that their 'rezinet' was so much better than how warwick is currently operating its network... OK at coventry i was conected at ONLY 10MBs and not 100MBs like i am here, but there was almost no restrictions, games worked, DC++ worked etc etc so to move from a ranked 88th university to a ranked 5th university only to find it's computer services are worse is quite frankly a joke

ITS if you read this sort it out, or go get some tips from coventry its only up the road
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

A lot of universities have very strict limitations of their residential networks, although I must admit, blocking stuff is a bit anal as virtually everything can be used for legal purposes and this is just impeding it
Ikkath

Post by Ikkath »

The thing is I guess is that with greater prestige comes greater responsibility - they can't be seen to condone filesharing. This being said 3-4 years ago (when IIRC warwick was ranked higher than it is today) the network was magnitudes better... So who knows...?
A lot of universities have very strict limitations of their residential networks, although I must admit, blocking stuff is a bit anal as virtually everything can be used for legal purposes and this is just impeding it
Why do you think this is? I honestly cannot think of one reason why a university would for example block all online games. What on earth is so bad about playing games in your spare time - everyone has their outlet and if yours happens to be games then its hardly fair. I dont see them planting trees on all the sports fields... an exagerated analogy perhaps but still.

Blocking P2P stuff I can agree with to a certain extent - they can't be seen to condone it.

I am hoping that now they have the problems 'fixed' (which I am sceptical of anyway - see other thread) they will be receptive to setting priorities for Steam, World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XI, BF2, etc... If not then I want to know WHY not.
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Well WoW uses BT to update, so they are clearly not going to unthrottle that :S
Ikkath

Post by Ikkath »

That does not really matter though - you can find the update on numerous websites... :P
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

I don't know why you lot don't complain to the union and get them to start a campaign. I think you're *forced* to pay for your Internet connection, i.e. I don't think you can get a rebate if you choose not to use it. They added £5/week to everyone's rent to cover this a few years ago, so essentially you're paying about £22/month for your broadband. I'm sure most of you would prefer your personal 2Mbit ADSL connection at £22/month rather than what you get offered at Warwick.

Cocodude
don

SICK OF IT

Post by don »

Yesterday, i tried to install the files required for editing in LaTex.. (basic install around 200Mo)

I had to shut down my computer after 1 hour, coz it had dwnloaded 10Mo.. In one hour.. For academic purpose..

It's really a shame!

don (butch on the hubs)
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

Have you tried using the Warwick Cache for your web access? When I was there, I think the address was wwwcache.warwick.ac.uk port 3128. Give it a try and see if your web access is faster.

Cocodude
PanMaster
twofo fucksmudge

Post by PanMaster »

Who's hogging the bandwidth? I keep getting 999 ping in quake 4 LOL :)