ITS: The fascist regime rises!

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

ITS: The fascist regime rises!

Post by echelon »

Well here are a few of the new policies of the fascist regime that will rule the campus network next year. I really do feel sorry for the ppl going onto campus next year. Lets just hope they dont start extermination camps in their offices in westwood :P

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/info ... /policies/
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Re: ITS: The fascist regime rises!

Post by astropoint »

echelon wrote:Lets just hope they dont start extermination camps in their offices in westwood :P
Don't go giving them ideas!
Saberwing

Post by Saberwing »

Speaking of which...I still haven't paid my fine!...I have no intention of ever bringing the matter up again either, hehe. ;)
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

If they do ever ask for it, send them it in Monopoly money. They can't provide a good service so you can't provide real money :D
Last edited by astropoint on Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saberwing

Post by Saberwing »

Good call!

Although I've heard of a few others having received notices from ITS wanting the fine to be paid--I've never heard anything so I'm keeping it all hush.
Smelly_Kat

Post by Smelly_Kat »

lol they're so retarded they haven't noticed you still owe them.

Yay for ITS's retardedness! :D
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

Can someone who's still got access to ITS's pages please copy and paste the rules and regulations? It seems a bit strange that you have to log in to view these.

Cocodude
Blood God

Post by Blood God »

from my skim reading they're not just the resnet ones, but cover all of campus so apply to staff too.

The summary of it really covers that you should have a secure password, and change it regularly (this is should - rather than have to) and there's also restrictions that say you can't connect any networking device (switch,router,wireless access point etc etc etc) to the network without permission. With emphasis on the wireless stuff.

All seems quite sensible to me at a cursory glance.... but I might have missed something
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

From what I can recall of it [can't access it now, account has been disabled...] it was mainly, as Blood_God said, focused on networking equipment being used to extend Piazza.

Wireless, fair enough - many different [especially unofficial ones that have been set up by muppets] wireless connections can interfere with each other, plus some may not be secured. [Plus, don't forget, that this has been against the AUP for ages...]

Wired networks, however, seems a tad harsh, athough I suppose that many people now have two computers and they may run out of IP addresses on some of the subnets.
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

BigG wrote:Wired networks, however, seems a tad harsh, athough I suppose that many people now have two computers and they may run out of IP addresses on some of the subnets.
Hmm, I wonder whether a computer that can route counts as a router. In halls previously, I had one computer attached to the network port, routing traffic from another behind that. Perhaps they should explicitly allow NAT or something.

Cocodude