MAC addresses

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

Dave1

MAC addresses

Post by Dave1 »

I've been using DC++ for a while, but recently I've been sharing/downloading a LOT of files. As I use stunnel, ITS can't see what I'm sharing, but they obviously can tell how much data I'm sharing (from network usage logs on their routers).
I also change my MAC address every couple of days, giving me a new IP address - but my qn is "are ITS likely to know which room a particular IP address was assigned?"
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Re: MAC addresses

Post by cocodude »

Dave1 wrote:I've been using DC++ for a while, but recently I've been sharing/downloading a LOT of files. As I use stunnel, ITS can't see what I'm sharing, but they obviously can tell how much data I'm sharing (from network usage logs on their routers).
I believe ITS can see what you're sharing. You're still (usually) broadcasting your IP address when you're on twofo. stunnel does not increase your anonyminity.
I also change my MAC address every couple of days, giving me a new IP address - but my qn is "are ITS likely to know which room a particular IP address was assigned?"
They probably can just see what physical port was allocated an IP address, but I'm not 100% sure on this.

Cocodude
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Re: MAC addresses

Post by astropoint »

Dave1 wrote:but they obviously can tell how much data I'm sharing (from network usage logs on their routers).
As far as I've been able to work out, the resnet is on switches, so they don't/can't collect from that. They only look at their logs from the traffic shaper/routers between the resnet itself and the resnet of the warwick network and JANET. So in theory, they can't really see resnet->resnet transfers
Dave1 wrote:I also change my MAC address every couple of days, giving me a new IP address - but my qn is "are ITS likely to know which room a particular IP address was assigned?"
They can always tell waht IP is assigned to what room. I don't thinkt hey're doing much tracking based on MAC addresses (for now anyway)