stunnel

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

God

Post by God »

In all honesty, the problem was probably caused by my idiocy.

Astropoint was just trying to help and inject a bit of good humour, but if your not happy about it please feel free to private message me on DC++ (my nickname is wiggle) and we can discuss it further.

And surely you tell your friends all the time when they do silly things! I certainly do :)
kt

Post by kt »

thanks for that. i do appreciate a good joke, and surely i would tell my friend what i had learned, but that didn't sound like a nice thing to say to a stranger, and it had nothing to do with him doing something silly, he was telling me what he knew best at that time. anyway, not a big deal of course.... :)
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Heh... well it wouldn't have worked for them either and imo telling someone something incorrect it is a bit of a silly thing to do
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

kt wrote:thanks for that. i do appreciate a good joke, and surely i would tell my friend what i had learned, but that didn't sound like a nice thing to say to a stranger, and it had nothing to do with him doing something silly, he was telling me what he knew best at that time. anyway, not a big deal of course.... :)
basically sounds like ur friend was trying to sound more intelligent than he actually is!! that was his mistake and hence why it would be perfectly justified to tell him he was an idiot..

The reason I was able to see through to what the actual problem was that what your friend did is a common noob error and I am rather surprised the other OPs didnt catch it earlier (/me slaps other OPs for lazy reading or oversight!! :P)
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

The reason we didn;t catch it earlier is that there was actiually a problem with stunnel from certain residences. That one just slipped in sideways
kt

Post by kt »

oh my god i can't believe no one's getting this... he wasn't trying to sound more intelligent then he actually is, he wasn't doing something stupid on purpose, he wasn't leading me astray on purpose; there simply wasn't anything malicious or arrogant about it. a well meaning (yet mistaken) suggestion that he didn't know was mistaken is not a situation in which you are "perfectly justified" in calling a friend an idiot. he was wrong - yes, i've got that. i couldn't have got it working based on his advice - yes, i've got that too. he was hoping that he was being of help to me because that's what he thought was correct - thus, not an idiot! got it?
God

Post by God »

kt wrote:oh my god i can't believe no one's getting this... he wasn't trying to sound more intelligent then he actually is, he wasn't doing something stupid on purpose, he wasn't leading me astray on purpose; there simply wasn't anything malicious or arrogant about it. a well meaning (yet mistaken) suggestion that he didn't know was mistaken is not a situation in which you are "perfectly justified" in calling a friend an idiot. he was wrong - yes, i've got that. i couldn't have got it working based on his advice - yes, i've got that too. he was hoping that he was being of help to me because that's what he thought was correct - thus, not an idiot! got it?
oooh fiesty :)

I think I got it the first time though!
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

kt wrote:oh my god i can't believe no one's getting this... he wasn't trying to sound more intelligent then he actually is, he wasn't doing something stupid on purpose, he wasn't leading me astray on purpose; there simply wasn't anything malicious or arrogant about it. a well meaning (yet mistaken) suggestion that he didn't know was mistaken is not a situation in which you are "perfectly justified" in calling a friend an idiot. he was wrong - yes, i've got that. i couldn't have got it working based on his advice - yes, i've got that too. he was hoping that he was being of help to me because that's what he thought was correct - thus, not an idiot! got it?
-flipacoin further piss off kt or reveal to him that astropoint's "idiot" was not meant as a malicious, but rather a joking comment?
kt

Post by kt »

no need to flip, i am happy to concede to the joke. a silly point gone too far...
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

kt wrote:no need to flip, i am happy to concede to the joke. a silly point gone too far...
but but I love fliping coins :cry: