RevConnect ?

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

hmm

RevConnect ?

Post by hmm »

could RevConnect be used to solve the on-campus hub problem?..
it supports Kademlia, ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kademlia ) , which apparently gives (with revC) a DC++ decentralized p2p network!
i would have thought it would work well on campus, and is fully DC compatible so no change for those off campus..
not sure exactly how it would work with hubs and stuff.. is there any reason i'm missing why this wouldn't work or anything??
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

well im no expert but as wiki says "Public clients using the Kademlia algorithm" include bit torrent etc etc then ITS would be able to spot the connections a mile of beacue they are lookin for p2p connections and the algorithm will be the same if used in DC so it would just be like using a P2P proggie like eXeem or summin ?! or mebe im wrong :P
hmm

Post by hmm »

i dont think its the same as exeem, as that was based on the bittorrent protocol..
whilst (a couple of clients for) bittorrent can apparently use the kademila algorithm, it also states "these networks are incompatible with one another", so it wont be using any sort of bittorrent-esq protocol, so, presumably not detectable like BT in the way u were suggesting. (having said that.. haven't all the fines been for DC use not BT anyway(?))

idk :?:
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

Quite alot of people were fined for BT at the start of term. Probably more than for DC at the end of last term from what I can see. BT is very easily detected due to the sheer number of connections it makes
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

From my understanding Kademlia will not be any less detectable than BT or DC and in itself is not a solution. I have not myself tested Kademlia on a large network so I cannot say for sure, but I do believe it may also cause as much harm as BT.