Twofo down part2

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

johnno

Twofo down part2

Post by johnno »

Sorry if i seem stupid....

I can see twofo is back up from the irc stats but when i connect, i get the same problem as was happening a few weeks ago - it says "connected", doesn't show a user list or chat then gets "reset by server". Is anyone else experiencing similar problems on campus?
sifface

Post by sifface »

The packet shaper has been reinstalled by ITS. Back to socks5 i think...
johnno

Post by johnno »

Really? I knew that they were reinstalling the traffic shaper but, according to the resnet "news", it was just going to be in "listen mode". Hmmmmm. If that's the case, it sucks :(
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

even if the traffic shaper is on tho.. there should be few ppl on campus and therefore u should not have problems connecting as few ppl should be competing for external bandwidth
johnno

Post by johnno »

Unfortunately that's not the case :(

I've been trying to connect since wed and have had no luck as yet. I dont *think* there's a problem with my pc, as it was connecting fine on tues evening, just not wed afternoon.
bloodybuck

nothing happens after ***Connected

Post by bloodybuck »

Hi

i'm staying on campus in the holidays, everything was working fine but since 15th Dec whenever i try to connect to twofo, it just goes up to the part where it says

*** Connecting to twofo.kicks-ass.net:4145...
*** Connected

and it ends there. Nothing happens?
Whats this and why? is everyone else having the same problem?
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

Judging by the number of people on twofo at the moment, I would imagine that everybody on campus is having the same problem.
ITS re-installed the traffic shaper recently (late last week), so will now have put DC on the absolute lowest priority available, and so the connection request to the hub will always time out. If you're very lucky you may be able to connect at very off peak times (6am-7am) or if you leave it connecting long enough it may get through
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

yup I think its back to the leave it for long enough and u might be able to connect!! :shock:
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

32 hours later...
*beats Echelon about the head with a iron bar

;)
bloodybuck

firefox?

Post by bloodybuck »

why the "get firefox" image, echelon?
corporate sponsorship?
Sentance

Post by Sentance »

email just came round today, they have indeed reinstalled the shaper, and they have put dc on lowest priority =( they'd only fine u for using it neway =P i think the ftp network solution that's floating around is still our best bet
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

bloodybuck: nope no formal corporate sponsorship from the Mozilla Foundation, but maybe I should get it.. :P
its just pure personal interest.. I dont like IE.. I'm not very happy always fixing the problems it leaves behind so I tend to push for my clients to switch to Firefox. Thus its more of a personal mission :P

sentance: yes indeed the FTP solution will probably be the best solution for on-campus filesharing.. It does mean that the social aspect will be broken slightly tho as the FTP client most likely wont include any form of chat
CruzerMX

Re: firefox?

Post by CruzerMX »

bloodybuck wrote:why the "get firefox" image, echelon?
corporate sponsorship?
cos firefox owns all :twisted:
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

its true.. its true another one of echelons conversion project but this one worked better then the "get everyone to use linuX" projet ;)
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

the linux project is having minor success.. it will grow in success.. its just had a few small growth problems.. firefox has been cross platform and thus easier.. linux means overcoming a lot more fears