Fines and current situation

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Dec not a bad idea.. the point is that once they see a professional letter they know u're serious and that u wont just fold.. so they'll fold since they kno they've got the weaker hand!!
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

mine was pro letter :P they still just back handed me :'(
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

I say back-hand them back!! they've gotta kno u mean business and that it wont be worth it for them to keep trying to get u to pay!!
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

/me seeks legal council ;)
Sentance

Post by Sentance »

definitely a good idea. the guy i mentioned got a letter today just to say that it'd been received, was being given 'serious consideration' and a formal response would come in time.

problem with the university is that they're a law unto themselves. they'll make u pay whatever they want, and just withold your degree if u refuse. i know no1 who'd put up a real fight against that kind of pressure, since it would involve going to cout, paying legal fees, plenty of hassle, a postponment of receiving your degree, no guarantee of victory and then they might just withold it forever more to spite you if u lose!

if u can get a lawyer involved now, with little hassle, i say go for it!
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

yup I definetly agree.. tho maybe stepping it up slowly might be a better idea.. I dont recommend charging university house with ur lawyer and drag their asses to court.. better try see if u can get them to admit their fault with this fine through letters/meetings rather than court!!
junior aspirin

Post by junior aspirin »

meh, honestly im just gnna pay it, after all i did get solidworks for nothing, £35 for that ent bad at all. besides its not asif im short of money at the moment (thats what you get if you work through your gap year!). i cannot be bothered with i fight i know im gonna lose, i have better things to be doing.

btw see my replys from its and the other bloke up top in the other post here
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

lol dont admit to anythin!! ;) i was just chatting and got fined i aint payin ima keep chucking letters @ em :twisted:
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

dont admit anything.. but even so.. I still say that the AUP was void when they broke it and thus there were no grounds to fine u on.. Also they try to say the fact that u broke the AUP was cause in the bad connection.. I say u demand to have proper evidence of that.. cus I dont think such evidence exists.. DC++ did not break the network.. bittorent maybe.. but DC++ certainly has no more blame than normal webbrowsing..
junior aspirin wrote:besides its not asif im short of money at the moment
Yes I agree with u.. its not about the money.. but its about the principle.. and for some ppl its also the money.. but in my opinion its first and for most pure principle.. they should not be allowed to determine themselves whether they were correct in issuing the fines.. it should be a 3rd party!!
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

It's like groundhog day all over again!

Look, if you didn't at least ask ITS for what evidence they had that you were breaking the AUP before admitting your guilt, then you're an idiot. Did anyone even check that ITS had got the right person?

Unfortunately, a crappy internet connection doesn't give you the right to infringe copyright laws.

Maybe you should be glad that ITS are giving minor fines for using a p2p program, instead of nice big fines for copyright infringement?
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

ahh yes but copyright infringement is not wat they're being accused off.. and they'd need much more solid evidence than just evidence that u have used P2P.. and since they have yet to show evidence that they're using P2P I'd say that'd be unlikely.. I still dont understand why u ppl didnt make a major fuss at the meeting.. I would have asked for evidence then and then if no evidence was probided I'd have told them sorry got the wrong guy..

but since thats in the past.. I'd continue pushing them.. they wont pull u into court as their case wont hold in court.. They'd need a lot of evidence to prove u were eligable for the fine.. Dont think they've got it.. Also the likelyhood of them having any evidence as to copyright infringement is very unlikely and would create a large media storm to pursue.. The university certainly doesnt want a media storm so will not pursue that matter.