ITS, P2P situation, future file sharing, fines

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

Sentance

ITS, P2P situation, future file sharing, fines

Post by Sentance »

Sorry I meant to post this a couple of weeks ago when it would've been more relevant (when ppl were still unsure of what was happening), but I might as well do it now so it's there. This is lengthy, so only read paragraphs that look relevant.

Friend of mine got network connection cut off and had an interview in which the following info. came to light:

DC originally has never been technically banned. We couldn't connect for a long time because the traffic shaper was set up on a interactivity priority basis (as we all knew already). This was when it would take us days to connect. We could all connect again when, after taking the recomendation of an external company, they changed the priority system to a subnet basis, rather than application.

ITS are obviously still blaming a lot of their problems on p2p, including DC. Whether or not u agree with their assessment is irrelevant, since as revealed in a recent email from them, the highest governing bodies in the University decided to ban all p2p for legal reasons. Apparently, in the past they felt they could somewhat turn a blind eye to what was happening. Due to the recent shift in the legal climate regarding copyright and p2p (which i'm sure we've all felt) they no longer feel comfortable with that stance, and so took the decision to ban p2p.

So p2p is NOT an option any longer. They can't determine what data you are downloading, and they won't cut u off simply for downloading massive amounts of data (apparently), but, they WILL cut u off and fine u if u're caught connected to any p2p. I don't believe they're monitoring this continuously, since I know people who are still getting away with using DC on campus sporadically, but be aware that if they notice you connection will be cut off.

My friend had his connection re-established without any fine, and it was only recently (about a week later) that they sent a letter claiming he was being fined. The letter makes the claim 'As you have admitted your actions you cannot appeal against the decision.' He did admit to using DC it seems, but not in writing, nor was any record made of this, nor was any mention of a fine made before asking. So his refusal is first on the grounds that they're fining without real evidence, and second the letter says that u can appeal in mitigation of the penalty, which he plans to do (and has made an appointment with the senior tutor) in light of how ITS have handled this entire situation (e.g. altering the AUP without informing students explicitly, sending confusing emails which suggested DC was not banned, demanding more money for what has been a truly abhorent service, etc)

wrt to this, I was at the EGM when the motion to campaign for compensation was passed. could it be possible to, for reasons similar to those mentioned above, to campaign to have all attempted fines withdrawn, and refunds made to those who've already paid them?

finally, i noticed a post regarding FTP solutions. I was going to voice a similar idea myself. In the mean time, as a temporary solution for some people, if you have access to an off campus computer e.g. at home, you can use winvnc to control it remotely and the use BT etc to dl nething u want. From there, set up an FTP server then ftp the file to your campus computer. As sum1 already noted, yes u're limited by the upload bw (which is about 10Kb/s for my connection), which means 350mb ~12 hrs, etc it's a faff on, but it works (unfortunately for me, my home computer is about 5 yrs old, and very unstable. but it would work well if u have access to something decent)

as for on campus ftp, i don't know if i'm repeating the suggestion that's already being discussed, but does ne1 remember the Piazza network that existed before Duefo? I think it worked by providing access to windows shared folders. Would be easier/quicker to set up something like that until the leet ftp network is up and running?
God

Re: ITS, P2P situation, future file sharing, fines

Post by God »

Sentance wrote:wrt to this, I was at the EGM when the motion to campaign for compensation was passed. could it be possible to, for reasons similar to those mentioned above, to campaign to have all attempted fines withdrawn, and refunds made to those who've already paid them?
No.
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

Nice and to the point there God.
The whole point of the motion was the appeal for compensation for crappy internet access, it had nothing to do with p2p and it shouldn't. The Union would never agree to campaign for you not to be fined for p2p
God

Post by God »

My time is too valuable to waste on such unethical campaigning:)

Next 2 things for me I think:

1. Accommodation as a whole

2. The crapness of union meetings. Only matters students actually give a shit about should be discused at major meetings. They should have minor meetings for other matters.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

God wrote:My time is too valuable to waste on such unethical campaigning:)

Next 2 things for me I think:

1. Accommodation as a whole

2. The crapness of union meetings. Only matters students actually give a shit about should be discused at major meetings. They should have minor meetings for other matters.
I agree.. wat a load of bollocks some of the stuff they discussed...

also Sentance the windows fileshare is not possible as has been stated on the forums many times.. the reasons for this are many...

But an FTP network will be in place maybe already next term (hopefully).. clients and network setup are already being developed!!
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

haha GOD is on a mission *take warwick accomodation down!*
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

CrAzYfOoL wrote:haha GOD is on a mission *take warwick accomodation down!*
everyone step out of the way... (unless u wanna die.. in which case feel free).. GOD is on a rampage!!
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

everyone step out of the way... (unless u wanna die.. in which case feel free).. GOD is on a rampage!!
HAHA *GOD IS ON A KILLING SPREE*